Workers have ended their strike at the site of Cape Town’s new World Cup stadium and the venue will be completed on time, a city spokesman said on Wednesday.
Workers who downed tools on Friday in a dispute over bonus payments had now returned to work, spokesman Pieter Cronje said.
“We will make up the time and we will still be ready to hand over on Dec. 14 next year,” he said. “The workers are back on site and talks are continuing over the dispute.”
Last week the city’s mayor, Helen Zille, said the new 55,000-seater venue was on schedule and that the city’s preparations were well organised.
However, a visit to the venue by South Africa’s President Kgalema Motlanthe, scheduled for Saturday, has been indefinitely postponed.
There have been other labour disputes across the 10 venues being built or renovated for South Africa’s hosting of the 2010 World Cup finals.
AUTHOR: Mark Gleeson
DATED: 5th November 2008