|The Gauteng government wants to ensure the Metrobus strike comes to an end soon, Premier Nomvula Mokonyane said on Thursday.
“In order to ensure that the Metrobus service resumes speedily, the Gauteng Provincial Government will throw its weight behind the City of Joburg’s existing efforts to resolve the matter,” said Mokonyane in a statement.
This followed a meeting she held with Johannesburg mayor Amos Masonda about the matter.
Metrobus drivers have been on strike over labour disputes since April 28 this year.
The province’s preparations for the Confederations Cup and progress on the Bus Rapid Transport project were also discussed.
Mokonyane said government was committed to ensuring all people involved in and affected by the BRT project were consulted.
There has previously been tension amongst taxi owners who said they believed they would be marginalised by the project.
“Government believes that working together with all stakeholders will indeed build a reliable and efficient public transport system in Gauteng,” Mokonyane said.
She said the R3,58-billion BRT project was estimated to create 29 259 jobs. This would include 24 620 in construction, 4 530 in operation and 100 in the BRT Agency.
The province was also ready to “host the world” during the 2009 Confederations Cup.
Public transport systems were in place and ready to take the cup visitors to matches and tourist venues.
“Major stadia, Coca Cola Park in Joburg and Vodacom Park in Tshwane are ready.
“The province’s hospitality industry is also geared up to ensure that the world enjoys the taste, the rhythm, and people of Gauteng,” said the premier. – Sapa