City of Johannesburg officials were yesterday locked in meetings with taxi industry players to try to avert a proposed strike.

The United Taxi Association Forum said this week that it was in the process of applying for a strike notice in the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg over the city’s controversial Bus Rapid Transit system.

This follows last week’s announcement by city officials that they will introduce the second phase of the transport project.

Included in the second phase of the project is the introduction of secondary routes, along which feeder busses will transport people from Soweto suburbs Dobsonville and Naledi to the main route, which begins at Thokoza Park in the township’s suburb of Rockville.

Taxi association secretary Ralf Jones said: “Our grievance is that at this point in time, the city is implementing a feeder scheme. They are coming into [sic] our door-step, and want to put us out of business.

“We can’t even use the dedicated Bus Rapid Transit lanes – that’s uncompetitive behaviour. We are also public transport. Where must we go and work?”

Jones said his association was hoping to strike from next Friday He did not specify how long the strike was intended to last.