Former deputy Finance Minister Jabu Moleketi has been re-appointed to the Fifa World Cup board of directors, the local organising committee (LOC) said on Tuesday.
“The board also decided today [Tuesday], after consultation with the South African government to retain the skills and expertise of… Moleketi as a member of the board,” the LOC said at a press briefing.
Moleketi lost his position on the board in the wake of his resignation from his government post in September last year. He was among several Cabinet members who tendered their resignations after Thabo Mbeki was ousted as president.
Local organising committee CEO Danny Jordan said Moleketi had been nominated and that he attended his first board meeting since September on Tuesday.
The other new government representatives on the board include Deputy Safety and Security Minister Susan Shabangu, Deputy Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene, Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister Sue van der Merwe and Provincial and Local Government Minister Sicelo Shiceka.
Meanwhile, board member and Transport Minister Jeff Radebe said the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system was on track for the Confederations Cup, which would kick off in 46 days.
“The infrastructure for the BRT system is going ahead unabated.”
The taxi industry had been “intimately involved ” in the establishment of the system and formed its “nucleus”.
Taxi operators would suffer no loss of profit or jobs, said Radebe.
Once the new government was in power, the full extent of how taxi operators would be incorporated into the companies operating the BRT system would be finalised.
Radebe said the first phase of the BRT was expected to have an annual revenue of R1.5 billion. This meant taxi operators involved in BRT companies would share an expected profit of R150 million amongst themselves.
Some figures around safety personnel to be present during the Confederations Cup were also released on Tuesday.
During the tournament, 8000 members of the police, army, metro police and emergency services would be in host cities. At stadiums and precincts 3445 security officials would be on duty. These would be made up of private security guards and people currently being trained to receive professional accreditation in the security industry.
At least 700 of these stewards and private security guards would be in action on match days.
Jordaan also said the organising committee had “very healthy finances” at the moment.
“It’s the first time the OC has so much money in their account,” said Fifa secretary-general JÃ©rÃ´me Valcke.
Precautions against swine flu would ensure it had no impact on the Confederations Cup, he said.
The organising committee said half of the 640,000 tickets available for the Confederations Cup had been sold.
Of this number, about 55 percent of tickets had gone to corporate clients.
For the final, only the more expensive category 1 tickets were available. Match 11, Italy versus Brazil, at Loftus Versfeld was sold out.
At the beginning of May, four centres where tickets would be sold over the counter would be opened. There was also “high demand” for matches involving South Africa.
On Friday a centre in Sandton, Johannesburg would open. Next Monday centres in Rustenburg in the North West, Bloemfontein in the Free State and in Pretoria would also be opened. “We are certain South Africans will now find it easier to purchase their tickets and we hope this will create the necessary demand to sell out all matches for the tournament,” said Jordaan.
DATED: 28th April 2009