The project manager of the Rea Vaya bus rapid transit (BRT) project, Bob Stanway, has retired, the City of Johannesburg announced on Wednesday.

The city would now advertise his post, along with other senior posts, such as that of operations manager, shortly.

However, mayoral committee member for transportation Rehana Moosajee said that Stanway had worked with a “team of experts” over the past few months to ensure a smooth transition when he retired.

“We have a strong transitional team in place, which includes Lisa Seftel, the City’s executive director for transportation; Lael Bethlehem, CEO of the Johannesburg Development Agency, and Jacques van Zyl, previously the MD of North West Star and interim MD of Metrobus,” she explained.

“Bob has played such an exceptional role in the successful planning and implementation of the Rea Vaya BRT project. We would like to thank him for his ongoing commitment and invaluable contribution to creating a world-class public transport system for the city,” Moosajee said in a statement.

The R1,6-billion phase 1A of the Rea Vaya BRT system was expected to be operational by August 30, after its implementation had been delayed by protests held by taxi operators.

It was initially set to be operational by June 14, before the start of the FIFA Confederations Cup, but taxi drivers and operators have protested against its implementation, accusing the city of sidelining some relevant parties.

“Negotiations with affected taxi associations are imminent and could also include processes around job opportunities, particularly in operations,” added Moosajee.