The Group Five/WBHO/Pandev joint venture (JV) and the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) on Monday resolved the dispute that lead to industrial action at the Moses Mabhida stadium, in Durban.

Work on the stadium would resume on Tuesday, and the national secondary strike that was planned to start at other 2010-related projects this week, had also been abandoned.

The strike began on November 7, and lead to the loss of 11 working days, Group Five KwaZulu-Natal MD Craig Jessop said.

However, he reiterated that although, time had been lost it would not jeopardise the city’s ability to host the FIFA 2010 World Cup.

Jessop added that work on the stadium would be accelerated so as not to feel “the full effect of the strike”.

In an emailed statement the NUM said that a December bonus of R2 000 had been agreed on, followed by a second bonus of  R4 000 at the end of the workers’ contracts in May next year.

It was also agreed that an additional health and safety officer would be elected by the workers from among the JV’s hourly paid employees.

Jessop noted that the project management also came to an agreement with the union that would prevent it from taking any further industrial action at the Moses Mabhida stadium project.

PUBLICATION: Engineering News
AUTHOR: Olivia Spadavecchia
DATED: 19th November 2007